Thursday, December 13, 2012

Here's a new colorway I mentioned a few posts back.  I'm calling it Hill Country Morning because it reminds me of sunrises in the Texas hill country, where I spent time growing up, camping with my family, splashing in Canyon Lake, sneaking illicit sips of beer at the Wurstfest in New Braunfels while my parents polka danced.  Good times.


And here it is spun up two different ways.  The first is spun then plied using Navajo plying, a.k.a. chain plying, but Navajo sound more romantic.


The second is done in what is called Fractal Spinning, which I learned when I took Felicia Lo's Spinning Dyed Fibers class on Craftsy.  What a great online class!  She does remarkable things with plain spinning of bright colors and I really learned a lot.  It was worth every penny.  Fractal spun yarn will knit up in a self striping pattern.  Which, obviously I have not managed to accomplish yet.  So stay tuned.  Part of the problem is the fiber.  This is Romney, and let's just face it, it's scratchy.  So I'm not sure what to do with it.  If it can't be a hat or a scarf or a sweater, what can it be?  The ball is in your court, yarn.  Speak to me.


Meanwhile, back in the dye studio (a.k.a. my kitchen), I've cooked up another colorway--Cedar Key.  The fiber is 50% merino/50% silk from Ashland Bay and it's downright gregarious.  It keeps me up at night suggesting what might become of it.





No comments:

Post a Comment